This just in: In Putin’s eyes, Trump is the gift that keeps on giving. It really doesn’t matter why Trump does what he does. It doesn’t matter if Trump just has a boy-crush on Putin or if Putin is controlling Trump. It doesn’t even matter if some shady Russian loan shark is controlling Trump. All that really matters is that Trump is behaving in a way that Putin must find very satisfying.
Let’s look at a few examples….
- Russia depends on oil. They use oil, but their real income comes when others use oil. Trump inexplicably stepping out of the Paris Climate Accord means he is free to promote all types of oil exploitation. He has done this with great enthusiasm; allowing drilling in Alaska, national parks and off our pristine coast lines. This makes Putting happy.
- Russia is a small economy and no match for the United States and its allies. Putin knows this, so it would be in his interest if the United States was somehow made smaller. For example, if our economy was less robust or our allies around the world began to stand a bit farther from us; as if we were at a global party and broke wind.
Has Trump given this to Putin? Has Trump made us smaller?
I would argue that he has on several fronts. Let’s look at a couple…
- Moving our Israeli embassy to Jerusalem has alienated us from every Arab country in the Middle East.
- Threatening war with Iran and stepping away from the Iranian agreement alienates us from our NATO allies who are part of that Iranian agreement.
- Tariffs that start a global trade war has spooked the entire global economy. This, all for a few steel worker jobs that will never be recreated.
- A Trump wall has alienated Mexico.
- Boasting about lying to the P.M. of Canada has alienated, not only Canada but the rest of the world that now has confirmation about that they have long suspected – Trump lies constantly.
- Bolton, Trump’s new National Security Advisor, has openly advocated for a preemptive strike against North Korea; a move that many believe will be almost instantly followed by 20 million deaths in South Korea. This move, even if it worked, would alienate China who sees NK as their illegitimate step child that they are someone responsible for taking care of.
- We have stepped out of the Trans Pacific Partnership, closing the door on a massive amount of potential trade.
- At home we have seen a rise in white supremacy and racism as well as religious intolerance. All of this serves to dis-unify our country.
- At home we have seen tax policies enacted and regulations tossed aside all directly responsible for increased income inequality; another divisive issue.
So yes, Trump has given Putin what he wants. He has made American smaller.
There you have it. My argument for “Trump is the gift that keeps on giving…to Putin.”
Time to save the world.
Up, up and away…