This just in: I know it’s been talked to death but I have a few words on the government shutdown and Trump’s wall.
Let’s start with this…”Tell them we will build a wall.” This is how Trump’s handlers got him to remember to talk about immigration during the campaign. It’s like saying, “Remember, a lot of our base is racist so you need to give them something racist to cheer about.”
Trump first said “We are going to build a wall” and then marvelled at how the crowd reacted. He then ad-libbed “And Mexico is going to pay for it” and the crowd went wild.
This reaction imprinted the idea of a wall on Trump’s infant mind.
- There is no crisis at the southern border. I won’t go into details. There is plenty of data about this. So, if you don’t believe me, then you are just listening to Trump or Fox News and there is no help for you.
- Trump sent Congress a budget, they came back and gave him what he asked for. But, in the meantime, Trump watched some TV and found that a couple of conservative talk show hosts scolded him for not getting a wall. When Congress came to Trump and said, “Here is what you asked for” Trump said…I have decided I also want a wall.
- If you want our country to be safe, pay the Coast Guard who is currently not being paid.
- If you want our country to be safe, pay TSA agents who are currently not being paid.
- The shutdown directly affects 800,000 paychecks from people that work for the government. However, millions are feeling the impact indirectly or as government services stop.
Now, It’s okay for the president to veto a budget submitted to him by Congress. If Congress really wants something but the president vetoes them, then Congress can override his veto with a 67% vote.
Mitch McConnell will not even allow this vote to take place. This, even though they had a nearly 100% approval of the budget sent to Trump.
McConnell won’t hold this vote because it will force some senators to either publicly vote for the government shutdown (in support of Trump) or it will make senators publicly vote against Trump, thus earning them nicknames.
It’s clear to me that the public wants the shutdown to end.
It’s clear to me that the public does not want a wall.
It’s clear to me that Trump is stuck in some alternative reality where he thinks he is actually a great negotiator.
It’s clear to me that if Congress actually represented the public, they would allow an override vote of Trump’s veto.
It’s clear to me that the Republican Party is afraid of Trump.
And sadly, its clear to me that about 38% of Americans are okay with all of this and thus….we are being governed by the minority.
Conclusion: The Republican Party is far more interested in power and keeping their jobs than they are in actually doing their jobs and promoting a true Democratic government.
Time to save the world.
Up, up and away…