This just in: Last night I was watching 60 Minutes and they had a segment on a nature photographer. One of his favorite subjects is grizzly bear (tagged as #399). Recently, the bear population was healthy enough that there is now talk about allowing some people to hunt bears. The photographer said many hunters have told him they can’t wait and that they hope to be the one to shoot the famous #399.
I don’t get this. It is so far from what I could consider as a “good idea” that it makes me feel like there are aliens among us; or at least a branch of the human race made up of gun-toting sociopaths.
The NRA recently had a convention in Texas. The President and V.P. were both there. In the President’s speech, he managed to anger both the country of France and the country of England.
Here are Trump’s views on gun violence as far as I can tell…
- If the violence was perpetrated by a non-white, then it is terrorism.
- If the violence happened at a school, then blame video games and arm your gym teachers.
- If the violence was by a white supremacist…silence.
Also, while the NRA convention was taking place, a breakfast place in Dallas put a note on receipts that portion of the receipt would go to organizations that support “reasonable and effective gun regulations.” How did the NRA visitors respond? With death threats; threatening to “shoot up the place.” This…is the NRA…our very own, homegrown terrorist organization.
We’ve become a country where we can make stuff up to suit whatever fantasy we like.
- Universal Health care is a government takeover of healthcare. The facts actually tell a different story. Countries that have universal healthcare pay much less for much better outcomes.
- Guns are not the reason we kill each other with guns. The facts say that we have the same rate of mental illness and video game addiction as other countries and yet…we kill each other with guns at a much higher rate.
- Tax cuts for the rich will spur economic growth and create high-paying jobs. The facts say that this economic policy (also known as trickle-down economics) is a failure 100% of the time.
- Unlimited campaign financing is Freedom of Speech. Actually, you can link the Supreme Court’s decision on Citizens United to the rapid fall of the Republican Party into a corrupt organization that profits by legislating based on the whims of their billionaire donors.
It’s getting to the point where nothing makes sense anymore.
However, there is hope. Here is a…something created by the young daughter of a artist friend.
This is so cute I can’t help but have a positive outlook on our future.
Time to save the world.
Up, up and away…