This just in: On 60 minutes a couple of weeks ago, there was a segment about a program at MIT where students invented stuff. Combine this with stories we often hear about soldiers that come back from the Middle East, traumatized, and with no idea of why they were sent there in the first place.
This made me think, “If I were King, how would I spend my tax dollars.”
I thought I would offer up a few choices.
Let’s start with…
- Which would you rather do: (1) Pay no taxes and have only toll roads and private schools or (2) Pay taxes to finance things that promote the public good?
- Which would you rather spend tax money on: (1) sending soldiers to Syria or (2) doubling the budget for NASA?
- Which would you rather spend tax money on: (1) sending soldiers to Afghanistan or (2) high speed transportation between cities and population hubs?
- Which would you rather spend tax money on: (1) Subsidizing the oil industry or (2) financing research into finding cures for things like Alzheimer’s or cancer?
- Which would you rather spend tax money on: (1) A military that is larger than the next 10 militaries put together (many of whom are allies) or (2) State of the art education that is available to all Americans, not just the wealthy?
- Which would you rather spend your tax money on: (1) Building a wall between the U.S. and Mexico that can be defeated by a $20 ladder or (2) Universal healthcare that makes sure no one ever goes without healthcare and no one ever declares bankruptcy because of their medical bills?
- Which would you rather do: (1) Spend money on tanks and foot soldiers suitable for warfare as it existed 50 years ago but has no relevance to today or (2) Revitalize inner cities with the goal of every American being able to live free of fear with equal opportunity to the benefits of being an American (healthcare, education, freedom etc.)
And now one final one for my Republican readers (if there are any)…
Which would you prefer: (1) a food program that makes sure no child in our country ever goes hungry of (2) allowing millions of children to go hungry because less than 1% of those on such a program are lazy?
There you have it.
Now…I have to run off and save the world.
Up, up and away…