This just in: This week, Donald Trump will deliver the State of the Union Address. My prediction is simple…he will take credit for everything and the blame for nothing. He will claim to be a great unifier and then disparage those that oppose him.
This is the cover of this week’s Time Magazine.
Now, some will say, “Liberal News!”
Let’s look at it….
- Trump has trashed NATO.
- Trump is so unwelcomed in the UK that he said he will not visit unless they ban protests.
- Canada, our biggest trading partner, is turning to the east for new trading deals after Trump intervene in NAFTA.
- Mexico hates us because, according to our president, they are rapists, thieves and perhaps…a few good people.
- He just returned from Europe and declared that the EU is trading unfairly with us. The EU response, “We do not need the United States.”
- He pulled us out of the Trans-Pacific Trade deal, making China the new leader in global trade.
- He trashed an entire continent when he called Africa a “shithole”.
In short, he has alienated, in one short year, nearly every country in the world.
Let me be clear…we are a superpower because of our economy. Our economy is strong because we trade with the rest of the world. If we stop leading the way economically, the rest of the world will move on without us. In the end, INTEL can sell its microchips to Kansas instead of Europe. Let’s see how that works out.
His supporters claim he is “negotiating” in a tough manner. These people have two beliefs that they hold dear: (1) The United States is so great and strong that the rest of the world needs us and (2) God selected Trump to be our Dear Leader.
These people hold a set of values that are far different from my own.
Our country has fallen. The problem with this is that we won’t recover so long as there are those who don’t see what we have lost over the last several months.
What we need is a 12-Step program.
Step One: We admitted that we are powerless over the current outcomes of Trump’s first year as president
Step Two: Came to believe that we could take back control and restore our standing in the world.
Step Three: Voted in 2018 and ousted every Republican that supported our Trump-led downfall.
Step Four: Made a searching and fearless inventory of ourselves. Who are we and who do we want to be.
I don’t have the rest of the steps just yet but you get the gist of it.
We are responsible for today as well as tomorrow.
Up, up and away…